Share the experience of nature and environmental education with local inner city youth!
Through Inner City Outings, urban youth are provided the opportunity to discover the
beauty of wild places, develop an appreciation for nature, and acquire skills to enjoy these
Who are we?
Inner City Outings (ICO) is a community outreach program of the Sierra Club dedicated to helping urban youth discover the
ICO provides adult supervision, equipment, food and transportation for exploring local natural treasures in San Diego County,
hosting camping trips in the surrounding mountains and desert, and distant adventures to places such as Sequoia National Park.
San Diego ICO is completely volunteer run. The program commenced in November 2001 and has 4
active leaders serving 17 agencies with about 21 volunteers.
All activities are free for the children and donations directly fund adventures for the kids, who come from the following 17
agencies (check our agencies page for more details).
- America's Finest Charter School
- City Heights Community Development Corporation
- Community Housing Works - Escondido Cluster
- Community Housing Works - Fallbrook Cluster
- Community Housing Works - Poway Cluster
- Community Housing Works - San Diego Cluster
- Community Housing Works - Westside Cluster
- Embrace - Poway - Orange Garden Apartments
- Harriet Tubman Village Charter School
- Hilltop High School
- McPhatter Community School (Middle)
- Promise Charter School
- Pura Vida Environmental Outreach, Inc.
- Sherman Heights Community Center
- Union of Pan Asian Communities (UPAC)
- Y-FRIENDz Mentoring Program
- YMCA Youth & Community Center
Why is this important?
Despite San Diegoís beauty, many children do not have access to open spaces they can safely explore. More and more,
children are leading sedentary lives because they do not have the opportunity to be active outside, or know what opportunities exist.
ICO helps urban youth learn how to safely explore nature. Our trips provide a chance for kids to be kids - to climb rocks, splash
in a stream, look at bugs, and be master of the mountaintop Ė while developing new skills and a desire to explore and protect open
spaces. Check the photo gallery to see all the fun.
How you can help:
Volunteer - Do you like kids? Do you like the outdoors?
Join an ICO day trip and see if itís a match for you. Check the calendar to find out what trips
are planned or attend a new volunteer orientation meeting. For more information on volunteering, check the
volunteering page, email
Allan Fein or call at 858-449-3333.
Sponsor - Make it possible for a child to go on their first outing, sleep under a sky full of stars,
or learn how to backpack. All cash donations are tax-deductible through The Sierra Club Foundation. Employer matching is also welcome.
For more information how you can contribute, check our donating page, email
Mike Gilligan or call at 619-992-7181.